Tuesday, July 14, 2009

wrapping up the conference with delicious food

Look at me, I'm terrible, I took last night off from blogging. Yesterday was not too terribly eventful, and in that it was a nice day. I was actually able to get out of bed in a nice, leisurely fashion, and decided to be even more luxurious and eat breakfast? really brunch, in the hotel restaurant. Never mind the costs! (The cost ended up being about twenty bucks for a giant bagel with cream cheese and mounds and mounds of lox... and a borrowed Wall Street Journal). After that I shuttled down to the convention center to help the OITP folks set up for their "Case Studies in Copyright" program. It was a combo program and poster session, so there was a lot to set up; handouts, giveaways, putting up posters, etc. I became the official Greeter and handed out giveaways at the door as people came in. None of the other programs I went to did anything like that, so hopefully we gave everyone a good impression.

The copyright program was excellent. I didn't really, really realize before then that the effort to follow copyright laws, guidelines, etc., is really just a matter of interpretation and how much risk you want to take. Phrases like "within a reasonable amount of time" are common. What is reasonable? You have to just take your best shot. The OITP endorses librarians to not over-examine every last detail. It was pointed out that often with copyright law, court rulings and subsequent laws are shaped by past public behavior, and to get too crazy with trying to be overly careful will only perpetuate that kind of environment, both formally and informally. Do what seems right and practical, and we should be fine, they said. It was very, very interesting. We also received a compliment from a student at Syracuse who really appreciated our "Copyright Help 5¢" booth (we called it the Lucy booth). It was great. They plan to keep the booth for next year and possibly for a few large state library association meetings. It is sorely needed!

After we packed up that program, they were having an awards reception which I was strongly encouraged to attend. I was late because the room was just about impossible to find, but I'm really glad I found it. The buffet was the best free food I'd gotten during the whole conference! :-) It wasn't very crowded so I was able to return for the little bite-sized pieces of bread with cream cheese and super tender pieces of beef. Mmmmm. Kathy gave me a couple of free drink tickets too, which was super nice. I had a good time.

I do have to comment -- the award that was presented (for furthering quality education in copyright law, given to a University of Wisconsin professor) looked, to me, exactly like a giant glass of beer. I kid you not. I wanted to make a joke about it but I didn't want to be inappropriate. It looked like a glass. The bottom was clear, most of it was amber, and the top was frosty white. How does that not look like a beer?! Was it an inside joke? I want to get to know these people better so I can find out!

Shared a cab with someone back to the Hyatt, since the end-of-the-day wait for a shuttle was going to be 15-20 minutes, and who wants to wait that long at the end of the day? My roommate and I went out for a walk around the downtown parks. Apparently the giant fountain is the one from the opening scenes of "Married With Children". It's been so many years since I saw that show, I really don't recall a fountain. I must say, it's one heck of a fountain though, and worth walking over there to see it.

Aaaaand that's all, folks! I hoped to wake up leisurely this morning, too, but a crazy alarm sound woke me up earlier than I'd wanted to be up. Scared the crap out of me, I had no idea what it was, and still don't. Annoying. Settled the bill ($13.65 per day for Internet; roomie and I split the cost) and shuttled back to Midway and its tacky Toilet signs. I was very sad to leave Chicago... but it'll still be there for the next time I want to visit.

Next stop, Midwinter 2010, in Boston, so I imagine I can go. I'd like to visit the copyright folks again. They do really good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment